Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Green roofs and Baltimore


Back in May, between getting back from Cuba and starting my new job at SMUSA, I headed to Baltimore to present some interesting findings on my green roof research. Myself and Melissa, a Masters student, co-wrote a paper with our supervisor to present at the Green Roofs for Healthy Cities' conference called Greening Rooftops for Sustainable Communities...got all that? haha

The best part was I was leaving Halifax for NYC/Baltimore about an hour after we got back from Cuba, so I was a little pressed for time. At the stop=over in TO they told us we weren't on the flight back to Halifax, "didn't you pre-select you seat?"...oh you mean in Cuba, where there's lots of Internet? So we made it on stand-by, thank god, and got to Halifax on time. I made all my connections and survived US customs.

Baltimore is a really cool city I probably never would have visited otherwise. It's only about 30 minutes from Washington, DC. which we also got the chance to visit. We checked in and went right to a free Orioles game at Camden Yard once we got there. The GRHC people got us VIP in the Bullpen, but crap is baseball boring, and we didn't stay the whole game. I pretty much hadn't slept since Cuba either, after a full night of travelling and finding out I was on stand-by during the time I was supposed to sleep and then another full day of travelling kinda messed all that up.


The conference was really interested. I met a lot of people I cited in my thesis, and saw a lot of very cutting edge research in presentations and posters.

We saw a lot of random tourist stuff in Baltimore. I can't really compare it to any other city I've been in. It was very "American", and had lots of monuments and historical sites and all that. Washington was nuts. It sucked I was in the US capital before Ottawa. There was security everywhere, even the streets had big spikes the jolted up from the pavement to control car traffic. In a whirlwind tour of only a few hours, we walked all around downtown seeing all the major land marks.


Flight home to Halifax took us to Chicago first. Which was a cool coincidence, because Chicago is the green roof capital of North America. The skyline was sweet to see from the plane, and I swear I saw the Family Matters house. Once we got back in NS, it was nice to settle in and not travel...for a little while at least.

1 comment:

Maria said...

How to Buy Gold Bars and Protect Your Investment Indiana PA. The skyrocketing price of gold makes gold bars an attractive investment. You don't need a degree in metallurgy to buy gold bars, but you do have to exercise caution. What is gold bond can we purchase gold bond can someone give me. , investing in gold is considered to be safer than traditional investments in equities and bonds since gold is the commodity where the price is determined by various. As a general rule, a company's trailing 12-month sales should be 1.5 times or greater than the average market value. With talk of replacing the dollar as reserve currency, as well as additional threats of additional downgrades, gold and silver in any form, and the swiss franc (which trades in gold) will all serve as safe havens. People are not real traders won't give you this information because they know they can't back up their claims. The forex exchange rates in Pakistan are at this time in a stable condition, it would be a excellent objective for each native and foreign investors to engage in endeavors concerning foreign exchange in Pakistan. silveristhenew Silver as an investment. Be prepared for the next great transfer of wealth. Buy physical silver and storable food. King World News March 8, 2012. Today Egon von Greyerz told King World News.